• nonstick cooking spray
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 Tbsp. garlic, jarred, minced
• 2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 jalapeño, chopped
• 2 16 oz. canned, low-sodium black
• 1 15 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced
• 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
• chopped, fresh cilantro, (optional)
1. Spray large pot with cooking spray, over
medium-high heat add onion and cook
until translucent ( 5 minutes).
2. Add garlic, cumin and jalapeno and cook 1 minute
3. Add beans to pot and lightly mash with a potato
masher or fork.
4. Add tomatoes and broth bring to a boil and reduce
to medium heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro (optional).
Tip: Serve this as a side salad to a meal or warm in
microwave and use as a filling for tacos!
Nutritional Analysis Per serving
Calories Per Serving 245
Total Fat 0.5 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 34 mg
Potassium 1128 mg
Carbohydrates 45 g
Fiber 11 g
Sugars 12. 9 g
Protein 15 g
Calcium 110 mg
Recipe copyright © 2014 American Heart Association. This recipe is
brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking
with Heart® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable
recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.